Menu
KrASIA
News

Yoma to buy control of Myanmar e-payment venture Wave Money

Written by Nikkei Asia Published on 

Share
USD 73 million deal brings Alipay operator on board to expand app services.

Singapore-listed Yoma Strategic Holdings will acquire a controlling share in its Wave Money digital wallet joint venture while welcoming Chinese platform Alipay on board, as the group pushes to reach Myanmar’s many underbanked citizens.

Yoma will buy a 51% stake in Wave Money operator Digital Money Myanmar from Norway’s Telenor for USD 76.5 million, the group said Wednesday. Yoma, which owns the remaining 49% interest, intends to form a designated holding company for the purchase that will raise funds from other investors. The group will make additional investments of up to USD 25 million.

The deal follows news in May that China’s Ant Financial will take a stake in Wave Money to bring its Alipay mobile payment technologies and business expertise to the Southeast Asian country.

After the completion of all these transactions, Yoma will control a 67% share in Wave Money, with the remaining 33% owned by Ant Financial, an Alibaba Group Holding arm. The deals are expected to be concluded by mid-November after regulatory approval, according to Yoma.

Read this: Ant Financial invests USD 73.5 million in Myanmar firm Wave Money

Though Yoma is listed in Singapore, the group operates core businesses in Myanmar.

Wave Money, launched in 2016 as a pioneer in letting account holders transfer funds to people with a mobile number, became a popular tool for migrant laborers to send money back home in a country with many underbanked communities. Remittances reached 6.4 trillion kyat (USD 4.5 billion) in 2019, beating similar services by banks and mobile carriers.

Wave Money now will focus on an app started in 2018 for paying bills and making online purchases. It will tap Alipay’s know-how in hopes of developing this service into a versatile platform for uses ranging from loans to travel bookings. The aim is to sign up over 10 million users by 2024.

This article first appeared on Nikkei Asian Review. It’s republished here as part of 36Kr’s ongoing partnership with Nikkei. 36Kr is KrASIA’s parent company.

Share

You might like these

  • News

    Thailand’s main digital asset exchange will go without cryptocurrency

    By 

    Stephanie Pearl Li

    22 Jan 2021    05:43 AM

KrASIA InsightsKrASIA Insights

  • A growing presence of digital banks in Indonesia will encourage innovation and digitalization of financial services, expert say.

    Insights

    Digital banking to gain a foothold in Indonesia in 2021

    By Khamila Mulia

    20 Jan 202101:05 AM

Most PopularMost Popular

See All